The place most associated with Kerem Montefiore is Mishkenot Sha’ananim, where the life of Sir Moses Montefiore is best remembered. Mishkenot Sha’ananim, Yemin Moshe and the Montefiore Windmill are all situated on ‘Kerem Moshe Montefiore v’ Yehudit’, the land originally bought by Moses Montefiore in 1855.
The legendary Mishkenot Sha’ananim Restaurant once had the finest wine cellar in the whole of the Middle East. The same site now houses the Touro Restaurant and Jerusalem Press Club. There is also the Montefiore Restaurant, where visitors may enjoy a glass of Montefiore wine, overlooking the Old City Walls of Jerusalem.
Mishkenot Sha’ananim was founded in 1860 by Sir Moses Montefiore. It was the first modern neighborhood outside the Old City and was therefore the cornerstone of modern Jerusalem. The original long, low building stands facing Mount Zion. It is distinguished by its crenellated façade, similar to the Old City Walls and the attractive wrought iron arches and grill work.
The complex includes the Guest House, Montefiore and Touro Restaurants, the Jerusalem Press Club, Adenauer Conference Center, Dwek Gallery and Jerusalem Music Center. Mishkenot Sha’ananim hosts literary festivals, concerts and exhibitions. It is the center of cultural activity in Jerusalem. The name ‘Mishkenot Sha’ananim’, (tranquil dwellings), comes from the Book of Isaiah.
Yemin Moshe was built in 1892, adjoining Mishkenot Sha’ananim and overlooking the Old City of Jerusalem. It was named in memory of Moses Montefiore. It is today one of the most prestigious residential areas in Israel. The stone lanes and steps, terraced houses, colorful flowering bushes and panoramic views, make this a unique and beautiful neighborhood.
THE MONTEFIORE WINDMILL
טחנת הרוח מונטיפיורי
The most recognizable part of Yemin Moshe is the Montefiore Windmill, which is part of the Jerusalem skyline. It is one of the main landmarks of Jerusalem. The windmill was built by Montefiore to provide a livelihood for the poor.
In 2012, the windmill was renovated by Dutch experts, so that it would again grind flour. It was officially reopened by the Prime Minister of Israel, with members of the Montefiore family in attendance.